Friday, April 13, 2007

So Why Blogger?

I've been meaning to get back to blogging, but to be honest, the thought of going back to Xanga doesn't hold a whole lot of appeal. And after cruising around the interweb, I eventually came to the realization that "hey, blogspot has a pretty nice interface." And since I can get most of my Xanga subscriptions through RSS, I figured maybe it was time to jump ship. A few reasons I'm drawn to blogger:

- Flickr support -- allows me to post photoblog entries straight from my Flickr account.
- Commenting open to the public (not only to blog members).
- Lots of layout control and customization options.
- Availability of compatible blogging software.
- Nifty add-on options, which may or may not prove useful.

I was thinking of converting my brother's old G4 tower into a web server, but after jumping through loops to get apache, mysql and php up and running, I came to the realization that I had no idea what I was doing, and that maybe I was in a bit over my head. Best to leave the web server-ing to the web server-ing professionals. Plus I didn't want to pay for electricity or a domain name. I just found out that I owe the government taxes, by the way. Uncle Sam is a cold, money-grubbing relative if I ever met one.

New blog, new possibilities. Carpe canem!

2 comments:

evromegjojo said...

i usually use http://quickrpickr.com/ to make posting a bunch of flickr photos at once...

The reason I still use xanga is that it has email subscriptions and i signed up a bunch of relatives to get my blog postings emailed to them...no other blog thing has that ability AFAIK.

--ev

Unknown said...

@everett
Actually although it's not directly built-in, I use Wordpress plus a plugin called Croissanga
that will "cross-post" your entries from Wordpress over to Xanga. You can check out my Wordpress blog and see that the last few entries are posted the same on the front page as on my Xanga. Take it for what it's worth, just wanted you to know.