Friday, April 20, 2007

A Brief Word on Finding This Place

So I was talking with Kiki the other day, and she mentioned something that I had concerns about when I started this blog. I mentioned this briefly in the disclaimer post earlier (see the third disclaimer), but in case you missed it, here it is:

The more I look at it, the more my blog's name looks like it says "Ecclesiastes," which is an Old Testament book of wisdom and life experience. It doesn't teach anything about spelling, though. Or combining words. If you type in "Ecclesiastes" in front of the "blogspot.com," you're going to get someone else's blog (trust me, I tried it).

I keep a link to Blogger in my browser toolbar, mostly because I'm not very confident in being able to accurately type in my own blog's URL. But generally speaking, I like to keep the things I read together via RSS subscriptions. If you haven't bought into the RSS sensation yet, I recommend checking out Google Reader. All you need is a Gmail account, and it doesn't require anything to download. Then all you have to do is click on over to the links under "RSS Feeds" to the right of this blog page. Easy peasy. Do that for all your friends' blogs. You'll be glad you did.

And just in case you're wondering:
Eclectic -- (adj.) Selecting or employing individual elements from a variety of sources, systems, or styles.
Ecclesiastes -- (n.) A book of the Old Testament.

Ecclesiastes contains reflections of an old man, the “Preacher,” as he considered the question of meaning in life. He looked back and saw the futility (“vanity”) of chasing after even the good things this life can offer, including wisdom, work, pleasure, and wealth. Even if such things are satisfying for a time, death is certain to end this satisfaction. In fact, God's judgment on Adam for his sin (Gen. 3:17-19) echoes throughout the book (especially 12:7). Yet the person who lives in the fear of the Lord can enjoy God's good gifts. Young people, especially, should remember their Creator while they still have their whole lives before them (12:1). Traditionally interpreters of Ecclesiastes have identified the “Preacher,” who is also called “the son of David, king in Jerusalem” (1:1), as Solomon (tenth century b.c.).*

*from the ESV introduction to the book of Ecclesiastes.

3 comments:

evromegjojo said...

if you're going to change your blog name do it soon, ... it'll mean fewer entries to move over :D

I nominate 3 choices:

eclecticthoughts4food.blogspot.com
mr_paronomasia.blogspot.com
puntasticman.blogspot.com

--ev

Unknown said...

it's interesting cuz i've looked up the word "ecclesiastes" many times on dictionary.com. you're just practicing being a future preacher! :P

Will said...

@evro
hahah, when i read "puntasticman," i thought "why in the world would i want a name about punting? i don't even watch football!"

@tiff
yeah, i originally looked up ecclesiastes on answers.com, but then i wondered at how theologically authoritative answers.com was :P Blue Letter Bible is where it's at.